Saturday, March 24, 2018

I have been singing since I could do the dishes - Manon, alto

A happy Manon gets a bouquet after her first performance with the Stairwell Carollers
Manon Kapeller reflects on the choir’s 40th anniversary:
An interview by David Rain, tenor

Manon, how long have you been with the Stairwell Carollers? 

Since 2015.

What led you to want to join the choir? What was your own singing experience before you joined us? 

I sang in my church choir with my mom and then with my sister and mom. I have been singing since I could do dishes! After supper we would have tea and then we would sing while we washed and dried the dishes. Tradition!

Tell us about your audition experience and how you felt. 

My sister Elise was approached by Denyse, a long time member, who sometimes sang with our choir because she knew our church choir director. So Elise, big sister, dragged me to the auditions. I had never auditioned before and the only song I could think of and know by heart apart from church songs was “Oh Canada!” Well I admit I was a bit nervous - but with the help of already competent choir members, they gave me the confidence I needed. That is what belonging to a choir really means to me. Uplifting and supporting each other.

My mom and I had seen the Stairwellers several times and I remembered thinking I could sing their songs and then bam, surprise, out of nowhere, Pierre would lead the choir from behind his binder. Nothing subtle there, about the rhythm being kept, leading the singers with a twitch or head movement, into some kind of weird, wonderful, unattainable melody movement.
Manon, front row, comfortable with the Carollers
Lol, all the choir members just looked like it was nothing for them to do. And me listening, feeling confident at first, that I could maybe join, and then crashing after hearing something I thought I could never do.

Imagine how surprised and pleased I was when I was accepted. I could not have done the impossible. I went into the audition nervous and not able to imagine pulling off some of the beautiful renditions I had heard, so here I am today still not able to believe it.
 
It's our 40th anniversary this year. Please share any highlights you have had during your time with the Stairwell Carollers.

Highlights! Apart from feeling thrown into the most unbelievable experiences. First audition, then recording a CD, and enjoying company with some pretty amazingly talented persons.
Manon bundled up for a chilly recording session for Magnum Mysterium CD
Are there any special songs that we're singing this spring that you'd like to talk about or share your feelings about? 

“Tabula rasa” and so many more!

Any other thoughts you'd like to share? 
 
I wished my mom could have been there to hear me sing.

About The Stairwell Carollers:

Pierre Massie began our a cappella choir way back in 1977 while studying music at Ottawa U. The Stairwell Carollers are ranked with the best of Ontario choirs, winning both the 2010 and 2013 Ontario Music Festival Association competitions. 

A registered Canadian charity, we also help local charities with our concert, CD and cookbook sales
Net proceeds benefit charity.

Please DONATE to support our 40th year workshops! 

3 comments :

  1. Great interview, Manon! I, too, started singing through doing dishes with my sister - we did Everly Brothers tunes, and she would do the main melody and I would always do a harmony to whatever she sang. Great training, eh?! Back to the choir: I really enjoyed singing beside you, and I miss that terribly. It was always a pleasure to see you at practice because you always have such a sunny disposition, and you always came prepared! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a choir teacher and life long singer it was fun to see this post at Thursday Favorite Things in addition to all of the home related posts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber! Great to meet a fellow choir lover!
      Holly :)

      Delete

You can also email your questions to me - info (at) stairwellcarollers (dot) com.
Thanks,
Holly :)

You May also Like...

Popular Posts

Real Time Web Analytics Google
Google