Thursday, April 27, 2017

Salve Regina by Francis Poulenc - sung by the Stairwell Carollers - YouTube

Glorious ceiling, Rideau Chapel installation, National Gallery of Canada
I love this piece! It was my first introduction to contemporary choral music and I "get" the dissonance of the modern sound. I like to chalk it up to my general lack of musical knowledge when I learned the alto part so many years ago. I didn't know any  better, no "classical" training -- so I just listened to how the harmonies worked and learned from there. I think my lack of preconception about how this music should sound let me hear when I was doing it right.

Or something like that.

Our CDs are available on our website in both CD and MP3 formats
Net proceeds benefit charity.

The Stairwell Carollers chorus from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, sing Salve Regina - by contemporary French composer Francis Poulenc (1899 – 1963).

Audio: Tom Barnes.  Recorded at St. Barnabas Church, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, June 5th, 2015
Videographer: Richard Auger
Editing: Pierre Massie
Photos: Holly Massie
About The Stairwell Carollers:

Pierre formed our a cappella choir in 1977 while he was a music student at Ottawa University. Since then the Stairwell Carollers have been ranked amongst the best of Ontario choirs in both the 2010 and 2013 Ontario Music Festival Association competitions. We are a registered Canadian charity, and raise funds for local charities through our concert, CD and cookbook sales.


Please DONATE to make our 40th year special for everyone!



No comments :

Post a Comment

You can also email your questions to me - info (at) stairwellcarollers (dot) com.
Thanks,
Holly :)

You May also Like...

Popular Posts

Real Time Web Analytics Google
Google