Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ottawa Race weekend with David Rain, Tenor -- UPDATE!

Thank heavens Ottawa Race Weekend is over, and the cars can take over the roads again! :)

This is just a quick note of appreciation to all of you who supported USC Canada’s Run for Biodiversity fundraiser this year.

Our team of 42 dedicated runners and walkers faced humid conditions all weekend, and some (including yours truly) got royally soaked during Sunday’s marathon and half-marathon, but we did it, and to date, thanks to your donations, we have raised more than $7,000 to support USC’s work with farmers in Africa, Asia and Latin America – and donations continue to pour in (pardon the pun) as I speak. I’ll send a final update in a couple of weeks, once our grand total is known.

Out of many great “success stories”, I am particularly proud of my girl friend Geneviève Lajoie, who completed her first half-marathon, and my work colleague Nicholas Galambos, who managed to run fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon!

On my side, I had a very positive experience (35 minutes faster than last year), and immensely enjoyed the first 30 km of my marathon. After that, the last 12 km proved to be quite a challenge – not because of the proverbial “Wall” that runners often hit, but rather because the clouds began to burst. I swear I must have been running with an extra 2 pounds due to all the water that had accumulated in my long hair, shirt, shorts, not to mention the puddles in my shoes (extra blisters here I come). Note to file: if rain is forecast, get a buzz cut!

I got great encouragement, as usual, from all the volunteers and spectators cheering along the route, and one sign in particular brought a big smile to my face. On the top it read, simply:

26.2?

A marathon is 42.2 km, which of course translates into 26.2 miles. The bottom part of the sign got me really chuckling to myself, in the midst of that downpour:

                26.2?
                Because 26.3 would be crazy!

And that about sums it up folks. Thanks again for all your support – until next year!

David


David Rain Legacy Gifts and Donor Recognition
USC Canada

I'm running wild for food and farmers. Support USC Canada's Run for Biodiversity!

Run for Biodiversity

No comments :

Post a Comment

You can also email your questions to me - info (at) stairwellcarollers (dot) com.
Thanks,
Holly :)

You May also Like...

Popular Posts

Real Time Web Analytics Google
Google